[squeak-dev] Improving the SystemNavigation browseMessageList... stuff

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Oct 24 19:13:31 UTC 2020

Hi Tim,

some scattered comments on your changes: It's a great idea to refactor this windowTitle stuff!

Personally, I think it would look nicer if you could leave out the spaces between the brackets, e.g. "Implementors of initialize [987]" instead of "Implementors of initialize [ 987 ]".

Not a regression, but still a bug: Select 42 in some method in a MessageTrace and browse senders -> Error: Instances of SmallInteger are not indexable from #findAgainNow. Is this related to your changes?

> Possibly better to do asOrderedCollection sort ?

Sounds reasonable.

> Now, about that improvement to the Shout stuff...

Your ideas sound interesting. We have collected so many ideas on what Shout/attributes could do else (ShoutAttribute<http://forum.world.st/Changeset-ShoutAttribute-amp-semi-styling-td5106776.html>, highlight searched text, and here are some other rough ideas: highlight all occurrences of the currently selected word/selector as you may know it from VS Code; automatically style hyperlinks with a TextURL (ask Tom Beckmann for more details on this idea) or class names with a TextLink; a text attribute that adds a tooltip to a certain subtext; allow to browse a word by Ctrl + clicking it, probably again via a text attribute; ...). Maybe we should finally split up the TextAttribute hierarchy into two layers, one low-level layer for emphasis, indent, etc., and one high-level layer for attributes that need to be converted into low-level attributes before display, e.g. StyleAttribute, HighlightAttribute, etc. This conversion could be done by a shout-like mechanism. Yeah, these are indeed rough ideas, just wanted to collect them anywhere. :-)

Best,
Christoph