[squeak-dev] Issues with SmartRefStream

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Sep 1 10:14:17 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I was just trying to file out a complex Object graph via #saveOnFile and found two problems with the SmartRefStream:

First, uniclass instances cannot be written to the stream. In SmartRefStream >> #instVarInfo:, I get an #errorKeyNotFound because the uniclass name is looked up into the SmalltalkImage globals. Minimum example to reproduce:

Object newSubclass new saveOnFile.

Second, blocks met during the file out process cannot be filed in again. Just try [] saveOnFile to reproduce this. Filein raises newMethodViaNewError. Maybe CompiledBlock should overwrite some streaming method for creating an appropriate disk representation?

<http://www.hpi.de/>

Just wanted to report these issues. Maybe someone is more experienced with the SmartRefStream architecture and would like to fix these bugs. :-)

Best,
Christoph