[squeak-dev] a few small quit issues I want to note

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 17:27:10 UTC 2020

Hi All,

    there are a handful of issues on quitting, especially quitting without
saving, that bother me.  I'm not suggesting we fix these right away but I
do want to put them on the list to be fixed.  Fast system startup and exit
are important, especially in a scripting context.

The first is that I *hate* the QUIT/NO SAVE notice being written to the
changes file.  This seems entirely unnecessary.  Why if one enters the
image, doesn't do anything and then quits, must the changes file be written
to?  This causes minor pain when one has an image/changes under git and one
has to revert the changes occasionally (but not the image).

Another issue is that we waste time shutting down the SoundPlugin
via primSoundStop in stopPlayerProcess, whether the SOundPlugin is loaded
or not.  So what happens is that the Vm loads the SoundPlugin just to turn
it off.  A waste of effort.  We could check whether the plugin has been
loaded first.

Similarly, Symbol class>>shutDown: anf Form class>>shutDown: do unnecessary
processing if the system is just exiting, and not snapshotting and then
exiting.
best, Eliot