[squeak-dev] The Inbox: System-dtl.1170.mcz

commits at source.squeak.org commits at source.squeak.org
Sat Sep 12 18:52:27 UTC 2020

A new version of System was added to project The Inbox:
http://source.squeak.org/inbox/System-dtl.1170.mcz

Name: System-dtl.1170
Author: dtl
Time: 12 September 2020, 2:52:23.835083 pm
UUID: cdd6e922-e25e-433b-a516-c503d0a772a8
Ancestors: System-mt.1169

End of the #World as we know it. Package postscript only. About two years ago we eliminated all dependencies on global World. However, the global binding has remained functional on the theory that some external packages might still expect it.

It is time to get rid of the binding now because:
- It gives the false impressing that the World is still in use as a global
- If a package is loaded that does need World, then "Smalltalk at: #World put: Project current world" will restore prior behavior.

=============== Diff against System-mt.1169 ===============

Item was changed:
+ (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: '"Global World is functional but no longer used in the image. Remove it now. If any package is loaded that requires the obsolete global binding, the prior behavior may be restored with:
+
+ 	Smalltalk at: #World put: Project current world
+ "
+
+ Smalltalk globals unbind: #World.
+ '!
- (PackageInfo named: 'System') postscript: 'SystemNavigation initializeAuthors. "new: Tim Johnson (tcj)"'!