[squeak-dev] a few small quit issues I want to note

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Sep 12 22:14:41 UTC 2020

Ah, I was wondering what purpose you had in mind...

> On 2020-09-12, at 1:08 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Not logging when there is no change sounds reasonable at first blush,
> but there are also Squeak systems that run a fixed image that don't
> save on exit -- it may be useful for operators of those systems to be
> able to know when there were interactions with the system, regardless
> whether development causing .changes changes was done or not.

Since an image set up that way is already going to be fairly heavily configured, would it not be likely that there is some added logging (I have been using the Squeaksource Toothpick package for a while now with considerable success) that would be a better target?  Indeed a simple extension to the ToothPick stuff could add some of the logging to the changes file if wanted, offering the best of both worlds.

One could even consider making such a system part of the image so that changes logging is simply a particular case, and allowing even that to be logged in some way other than simply writing to a local file. It might make for an interesting option for a cluster of image to write to a single logging target, for example. You could process that info and reply to alert a developer that someone else has recently touched the same code; or use ReallyCoolAI(™) to analyse it and suggest improvements - always a popular option :-)

tim
Useful random insult:- Ignorant, and proud of it.