[squeak-dev] logging to Transcript from not-UI process

Robert Withers robert.withers at pm.me
Mon Sep 14 05:27:19 UTC 2020

On 9/13/20 10:28 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> On 2020-09-13, at 1:03 PM, Robert Withers via Squeak-dev <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'll throw onto this discussion. I believe tim tested the TraceMonitor,
>> but went with Toothpick, which I have never used.
> There's nothing particularly wrong with TraceMonitor but Toothpick has a lot more options and has a very nice explanatory wiki on squeaksource. Explaining in order to be able to understand how to use it is always a winning strategy. Now, it is indeed true that I had to find the doc buried deep in the Wayback Machine and convert it to the wiki myself...

Yes, indeed. This is the exact issue I am facing with PromisesLocal,
providing a good explanation of its operation. What is the link to the
Toothpick wiki page? I found the SqueakSource project with some
documentation: http://www.squeaksource.com/Toothpick.html.

I believe Toothpick uses Aspects, so in this regard it may be easier to
add Logging to some code, than with TraceMonitor.

In TraceMonitor one must start monitoring by sending 'traceMonitor
monitor: mainObject', there after the mainObject can send 'mainObject
monitor: subObject' and so on, to allow subObjects to send #etrace:msg:
and be monitored...my paltry documentation, here. :/

K, r