[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Sound-ct.70.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Sep 19 12:11:36 UTC 2020

Hi Dave, Hi Eric,

thanks for the pointers. First, I don't know whether we want to have every image automatically download a file when you open Objectland, and because it should be easily explorable, I would not like to make an extra button "Click here to download a sound file" for it. If we decide we can make automatical downloads, Eric, can we upload any CC-free audio file to Wikimedia Commons and be sure it will never be deleted, or do we use any song that is already there?

This takes about 3 seconds for a 30 seconds wave file on my machine:

SampledSound fromWaveStream: (HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4e/Bach_Brandenburg_4_coda_to_the_3rd_movement.wav')

<http://www.hpi.de/>

Opening Objectland should not be terribly slow ... Hm, maybe we should just use the existing bachFugue sound, but I wanted to demonstrate Squeak's capability of playing wave files beside midi files, too ...

Best,
Christoph