[squeak-dev] We need an Applications tab on squeak.org

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Mon Sep 28 07:57:56 UTC 2020

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 2:50 PM Stéphane Rollandin
<lecteur at zogotounga.net> wrote:

> > muO's already on the projects page:
> > https://squeak.org/projects/
>
> Yes, I know. It's all a question of vocabulary I guess.
>
> Eliot proposed an "application" tab for commercial "projects". We
> currently have a "project" tab. I'm not clear on what a project actually
> is (it is not a word I use), and to me an application (not a word I use
> either) does not have to be commercial.
>
> I call what I do "programs" of "software". I made two games, which I
> call "games", not projects (in that instance the word seems very wrong
> to me). I am working on a third one, of a different kind and scope, that
> is indeed currently maybe a project but when somewhat finished will be a
> software or a framework because it is actually a open-ended game engine.
> There will still be a game there, though.
>
> In the current project tab at squeak.org, very different types of
> software are listed together. If a different tab for applications is
> going to be added, then it is maybe the opportunity to sort things out.
> At the moment is feels like "oh look at all the things people made with
> Squeak" but since there are not too many of them and they are very
> different in nature it may give the impression that we just gathered
> what we could, and that in fact Squeak is not much used at all.

What you see under "Projects" is the first or maybe second iteration
of what we came up with when we built the new website. All sources are
open source, so anyone can contribute or make suggestions on how we
could improve. Having different sections ("Commercial Applications",
"Games", "Tools", ...) on the projects page sounds like a reasonable
thing to have.

Fabio