[squeak-dev] Need better default code font

Vanessa Freudenberg vanessa at codefrau.net
Sun Apr 4 20:28:33 UTC 2021

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 4:47 PM tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> > On 2021-04-03, at 12:55 PM, Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > IMHO (speaking as a typo nerd) this is due to our default code font not
> having distinct enough letter shapes. I very much like our use of a
>
> I din't think it's anything to do with proprtional fonts per se,

Only insofar as that I do not know a single proportional font that has been
optimized for coding, as opposed to dozens of monospaced fonts (there is
Input Sans, granted, but that looks very much monospaced with only a few
adjustments).

I bet choosing the right glyph variants in some proportional font would
help.

Tobi suggested Fira Sans, and while I like Spiekermann fonts in general and
Fira Sans in particular, the rendering of e.g. ":=" is atrocious, because
that combination just does not happen in "normal" text.

- Vanessa -