[squeak-dev] Need better default code font

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Apr 5 06:32:43 UTC 2021

> On 5. Apr 2021, at 00:19, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
>

>> On 2021-04-04, at 2:53 PM, Benoit St-Jean via Squeak-dev <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> A few suggestions here...
>>
>> https://www.creativebloq.com/features/the-best-monospace-fonts-for-coding
>
> I deeply dislike monospaced fonts for Smalltalk. Again, far too C. We're not programming mere machines here folks, we're having a conversation with objects.
>
> How about https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Knewave ? :-)
> Teko is quite nice and clear. Or go really retro with 'Press Start 2P'.

I've been using Source Sans Pro (not Source Code, the mono variant) and Fira Sans for quite a while
in different editors as proportional, sans-serif code fonts. The work very well.

If we had ligatures, I think proper := is doable in any of these, and if we want to go all in,
we can change these open source fonts to auto-mazing-ly replace them by left-arrow; and that visually
only.

Best regards
	-Tobias