[squeak-dev] Revisiting the deprecation of #asMutator vs #asSimpleSetter in 5.3 (sorry)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Apr 13 07:36:05 UTC 2021

Hi Chris!

> Another option is to use "browse revisions", then select the revision
> which un-deprecates it and select, "browse origin".  Then you will
> have the version name which can be searched on the list.   :)

Works like a charm. :-) Would be nice if you somehow show the repository description in the revisions browser. Then, users could inspect the list of repositories if some issue occurs.

Best,
Marcel

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 9:10 PM David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com [mailto:lewis at mail.msen.com]> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 12, 2021 at 09:11:54PM +0000, Thiede, Christoph wrote:
> Maybe just create a new version and add the pointer directly into the
> comment of #asMutator? This will be even more helpful for people who
> wonder "Should I use #asMutator or #asSimpleSetter"?
>
> I also wonder whether #asMutator deserves a #deprecate flag at least.
> Otherwise, we will have the situation of two ambiguous selectors without
> any recommendation, again.

Let's not over-engineer it. Just look at the method comment. Is anyone
ever going to use a method with a name like "asMutator" without first
looking at the method to see what it does?  I certainly hope not :-)

  Symbol>>asMutator
    "Synonym for asSimpleSetter, retained for support of external packages such as Seaside"
    ^ self asSimpleSetter

Dave