[squeak-dev] JSON into Trunk? =)

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Aug 30 10:29:45 UTC 2021

Hi all,

looks like this discussion has stagnated, but I would still love to get the current jungle of JSON sources solved. Just today I have been encountering another version conflict from loading different JSON forks into my image ... We could really fix this problem by shipping an "official" version of JSON with the Trunk.

Marcel's mime type argument is a very good point IMHO.

> > On 7. Jul 2021, at 14:50, Levente Uzonyi <leves at caesar.elte.hu> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Marcel,
> >
> > On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> >
> >> good points. I would like to unify all three efforts of JSON parsing:
> >> (1) http://www.squeaksource.com/JSON
> >> (2) http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/JSON-ul.56.mcz
> >> (3) WebUtils class >> #json{De,En}code:
> >> I think that (1) is usually loaded in projects using JSON.
> >> I think that (2) has valuable fixes and extensions for (1).
> >> I think that (3) is hardly ever used. In Trunk, only in the WebClientServerTests.
> >> Thus, it makes sense to move (1) to Trunk, deprecate (3), and finally take a look at how to benefit from (2).
> >
> > (2) is already merged with the latest from (1).
> >

> Heres what I would do:
>
> - Have Tony merge 2 back to 1.
> - Mark (1) as read-only for old Squeak'en (so someone using 4.5 can have JSON)
> - Copy all of (1)  to Trunk.
> - Adapt webclient.

I don't think it's necessary to wait for Tony again, as we know that Levente's fork includes all recent changes to the JSON package. I would opt for immediately copying Levente's version of JSON into a new package; after that, we can deprecate the existing packages and adapt the WebClient.

What is hindering us from doing this? Can I help? :D

Best,
Christoph

---
Sent from Squeak Inbox Talk