[squeak-dev] Bug in primitiveUtcWithOffset on Windows

christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de christoph.thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Aug 30 18:51:29 UTC 2021

Hi Levente,

thanks for your support! :-)

I just took a second look on this issue. As plugging out my laptop again and again felt pretty tedious, I changed my system clock via the Windows settings. Neither #primitiveUpdateTimeZone nor #utcMicrosecondClock helped to see this change in my image.

However, based on a hint by Marcel, I took a look into the VM and was able to find out under which circumstances the VM time is updated from the operating system. I added a small hook resyncSystemTime() that triggers a resync whenever the operating system sends the message WM_TIMECHANGE and now both primitives appear to work as expected! Please see (and ideally review) my PR here: https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/pull/588

Here are just two further observations:

- In my Windows Subsystem for Linux/Ubuntu, time changes were already reflected correctly in the image.
- Applicable to both linux and windows: When I pull the clock backward (instead of forward), my image hangs, until ... guess what? It hangs until the system time greater equals the last known time in Squeak before I pulled the clock backward again! :D Because this issue occurs cross-platform, however, I think it is a separate issue and shouldn't block my PR.

Thank you Marcel and Levente for your help!

Best,
Christoph

---
Sent from Squeak Inbox Talk