[squeak-dev] Monticello Repositories

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Dec 15 17:18:40 UTC 2021

Hi Eliot --

I uploaded a template to be completed. Something is tricky in the CI but the skeleton is there:

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_development/squeaksource_server.md

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_pages/squeaksource_server.md

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/img/dev/squeaksource_server.png

I am trying to figure out why the page does not build:

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/runs/4537308664?check_suite_focus=true

Best,
Marcel
Am 14.12.2021 17:21:21 schrieb Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>:
Hi Eliot --

You can find older instructions here: http://source.squeak.org/ss.html [http://source.squeak.org/ss.html] (Wiki page)

Yes, I think we should add a new section on https://squeak.org/development/ [https://squeak.org/development/] under "Develop Your Own Applications" that explains how to set up SqueakSource/Monticello yourself.

Take the "Development process" as an example:

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_development/development_process.md [https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_development/development_process.md]

is the source for https://squeak.org/development/#development-process-1 [https://squeak.org/development/#development-process-1]

https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_pages/development_process.md [https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org/blob/master/_pages/development_process.md]

is the source for https://squeak.org/development_process/ [https://squeak.org/development_process/]

So, I think we could add in a similar fashion:
- _development/squeaksource_server.md
- _pages/squeaksource_server.md

And put updated information there. Maybe starting with the Wiki page above. A pull request would allow us to review the changes first. After merging, the CI (GitHub Actions) will update the new pages automatically.

***

Extending Monticello/MCZ to have an equivalent to readme.md is challenging. It's way easier to just add a ConfigurationOfCryptography to squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository and document everything there. :-)

Well, you could also add an empty "MyProjectReadme" package to your repository and use the commit message as an explanation of how to load the project. :-D No need to change the MCZ format.

Best,
Marcel