[squeak-dev] Merge Request: autoEncloseBeforeSpace.cs

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Dec 22 20:06:56 UTC 2021

> On 2021-12-22, at 11:59 AM, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
> I did *not* request to remove this shortcut because I understand that some long-standing Squeakers might have gotten used to it. My argument was only not to cement this kind of "leaky abstractions". IMHO the editor should be a tool that is suitable for all applications or domains in the same way, without putting advantages or disadvantages to certain domains.

Eliot's point is important - this is a *Smalltalk* editor we are dealing with. *If* you are intending to write a general purpose editor then there are quite different needs and the keystroke programming tool I mentioned a moment ago  would be of considerable help.

> A developer working in another domain (that abstracts from booleans/for instance, a query DSL) will be less likely interested in special shortcuts for ifTrue:/ifFalse: but more likely interested in shortcuts for message sends such as #collect:, #select:, etc.

General purpose, programmable, mumble, see above. It seems as if you are making the mistake of assuming there can only be one editor setup. Currently in Squeak we do rather do that, with the editors for pretty much all text-things being the same with the same menu even when inappropriate. We should do better.

tim
Useful random insult:- Full of wisdumb.