[squeak-dev] Transcript losing output when #processPreemptionYields = true

jaromir m at jaromir.net
Mon Feb 1 06:16:01 UTC 2021

> processPreemptionYields = true is a clearly broken policy (as your
transcript bugs show) and is only supported for backwards compatibility.

Thanks! May I ask why processPreemptionYields = true should be a broken
policy? The Transcript is broken, can be fixed and the bug disappears. I'd
say one's code should better be independent of the processPreemptionYields
setting anyway. Assuming the order of processes is always guaranteed by
processPreemptionYields = false may lead e.g. to using Processor yield
rather than semaphores to synchronize processes etc. (I try to test my code
against both settings to make sure it works)

Thanks again,
Jaromir