[squeak-dev] Cannot read 4.3 image on Raspberry Pi

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Feb 2 17:36:08 UTC 2021

My two cents on this debate:

I think it has already proven in the past that self-explaining code is more efficient for the purpose of documentation than a long manual which (almost) no one is willing to read, especially, this fact has been proven in Smalltalk. Unlike plain English, code is not a redundant structure that can become obsolete, code can be tested automatically, code can be reused, and when decorated with a proper amount of explaining comments, code can also be easier to read than a long wall of text.

In the era of IaC, we should apply the same pattern for the documentation of compile & build processes. This was also my motivation for https://github.com/LinqLover/squeak-raspi-docker.

It could be a Dockerfile, a Vagrantfile, or maybe also a simple bash file - the main thing is to write something that can be automated in a CI. And when there are 2 times x times y build scripts, one could talk about refactoring these scripts in the same way we refactor Morphic code or Collections logic or whatever else. I could imagine this could be much more fun than asking developers to write walls of "unstructured data", i.e. text. :-)

Best,

Christoph

<http://www.hpi.de/>