[squeak-dev] With Unifont Russia Alphabet Comes to You! (or...some success with the font work)

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Tue Feb 2 19:49:06 UTC 2021

Hi folks.

I am looking at the wide string for (16r000400  asCharacter to:  16r0004FF asCharacter)  and I can see Russian from my house!

Very happy about this.

Here is the process

linux

      download ttf font  example: http://unifoundry.com/unifont/

      Copy your font files (.ttf and/or .otf) to their respective directories:

      /usr/share/fonts/TTF

      /usr/share/fonts/OTF

      Run the following commands, with the directory where you copied the fonts as argument:

      mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/{TTF,OTF}

      mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/{TTF,OTF}

      fc-cache -f -v  (i do this as root and as my normal user account)

      Restart X.

in Squeak

Apps -> Font Importer  (import the fonts into the image)

World menu -> Appearance -> System Fonts  (blindly select one of the fonts you installed to see what sticks)

Unfortunately, my mail client (see! now I know what to blame, yesterday, I had no clue) does not support cyrillic.

My local instance of the UnicodeRangeBrowser displays the cyrillic in the browser and my workspace displays it.

very good news!

Ok...for UnicodeRangeBrowser...I need to expand it to keep tabs on what sticks.

This means I have to create forms and such so others can add information if they wish.

Then, for every Unicode Font Range, give instructions/fonts/steps to get things consistent from image to browser.

Then...tests....

It MIGHT make sense to create UnicodeFontRange specific in-image tests.  i.e. loop through the characters and verify the integer = the displayed character. Maybe throw in some should: reason: 'font xyz not installed?" stuff.

anyhoo, it feels good not to be flailing around.

cheers.