[squeak-dev] Transcript losing output when #processPreemptionYields = true

Jaromir m at jaromir.net
Tue Feb 2 23:21:23 UTC 2021

Hi Chris,

I've been trying to understand this dilemma and I too slightly incline
towards 'true' - meaning the same priority processes do round robin when
preempted. It makes the following example behave very 'naturally' – it lets
a quicker process finish before a slower (independent) one:

[ 50000 factorial. 'long computation finished' crTrace ] fork.
[ 1+1. 'short computation finished' crTrace ] fork.
'test started' crTrace

Output:
test started
short computation finished
long computation finished

However, people say Smalltalk is collaborative within priorities which
wouldn't allow the above behavior. I personally would like to consider both
ways equally 'correct' and stop labelling based on preemtive behavior. I
even checked some other dialects and the vote looks like this:

Squeak, VisualWorks = false
Pharo, VisualAge = true

I understand there may be technical problems due to complexity but the aim
should be in my opinion to have it both ways.

Thanks,
Jaromir