[squeak-dev] Discussing a new design of partially Squeak-based OS

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Fri Feb 19 21:46:03 UTC 2021

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

>> Is there any of Intel's 3D Xpoint as byte addressable ram or is it just SSDs?

>3D Xpoint is all byte-addressable and byte-erasable, yes.

>It is also available in DIMM form, called NVDIMMs, that plug directly
>into the machine's memory bus and make it appear in the memory map.

>Linux being Linux, however, the primary usage model is to partition
>it, format it, and use it as a very very fast disk drive. :-(

When Intel first announced this memory (years ago now) I realized right away it's potential as an object database for
Smalltalk.  The OS would need to be changed to assign it to a given userId or program.  The Smalltalk VM would need to
recognize it as a special object memory that contained persistent objects and deal with it properly.  I don't think the
change to the OS or the VM should be a very big deal.

I hadn't heard much about the memory a while.  Searching now I see that 256GB goes for about $1900 and 512GB for $9000,
not cheap.  If the prices come down and the size goes up, it would be a great object database with all the ease of
accessing the data (objects) via Smalltalk.

Lou

--
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.