[squeak-dev] Fwd: Shim OS [response to: partially Squeak based OS]

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Feb 22 15:40:04 UTC 2021

Hi Liam,

hmm... I wouldn't jump from "perfectionism" directly to "worse is better". There are many problem domains that allow for iteration and experimentation. Like, you know, software that does not control airplanes, for example. Still, if you overdo that iteration part -- never being satisfied with our solution -- that can impede your overall learning progress. There can be many valid attemps along the way, ready to be put out into the field. :-) Especially, if you tackle domains that can be challenging to evaluate but depend a lot on your personal gut feeling... but then again, if you want to have something so that children can control real-life elevators or planes... I have no further comment on that. ;-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 22.02.2021 13:43:14 schrieb Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com>:
On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 20:33, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> +10. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Incremental progress benefits from amplifying feedback. An absence of progress can’t.

The problem with this is that it leads to a rather toxic final conclusion...

https://dreamsongs.com/RiseOfWorseIsBetter.html

https://dreamsongs.com/WorseIsBetter.html

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: lproven at gmail.com