[squeak-dev] multitasking now available in Squeak6.0?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Jan 5 14:33:59 UTC 2021

Hi Timothy.

OSProcess allows you to fork the running VM process with the image from within the image -- at least on Unix-based platforms. So you can easily run all tests "in background" with dedicated OS threads. The result can be communicated back to the "main" image via inter-process communication, which OSProcess also provides.

> BTW, I hope someday I can run Squeak and have all the tools available as typical X windows apps.

There is already the HostWindowPlugin, which enables users to spawn new host windows -- but Morphic is not able to make good use of it at the moment. Its big central world is too monolithic at the moment. I have some ideas on how to split that up and -- for example -- assign morphs within a world to various host windows. Such morphs could the SystemWindows or just those window's contents. ... not breaking the powerful halo-inspection mechanics, of course. ;-)

Best,
Marcel