[squeak-dev] V3

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 04:08:33 UTC 2021

Hi V,

On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 6:07 PM Vanessa Freudenberg <vanessa at codefrau.net>
wrote:

> Reading the code I again noticed "Squeak V3" as name for the old bytecode
> set. Always wanted to know: Where does the "V3" nomenclature come from?
> What's V1 and V2? And should we consider Sista to be V4, or treat it as
> completely unrelated?

In my diseased and uninformed mind V3 came from my noticing that the double
extended do anything bytecode didn't exist in Smalltalk-80, so I presumed
it wasn't in Squeak V1.  I don't know if it's in V2, and I was too lazy to
go look, but I did know it was in V3, so I called it, and the object
representation "V3".  Presumptuous but concise of me.  For me it really is
a label for no more than the state of play of Squeak when I came to start
changing its core execution engine.  I hope this is harmless enough.

best, Eliot