[squeak-dev] [Test][Squeak5.2rc1][SqueakMap] FFI entry in SqueakMap catalog for 5.2?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 12 00:52:56 UTC 2021

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 10:05:40PM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> On 10/12/18, Chris Muller <ma.chris.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi Hannes,
> >
> > I think you did not understand.  Just because you "tested it and it
> > worked" TODAY does not mean that script will continue working forever.
>
> There is no such claim. The claim is just that it still works for 5.2.

+1

> > That's why we MUST NOT put a "Squeak 5.2" tag on it unless we make a
> > separate Release with a script that uses explicitly-specified
> > versions.
>
> > That's what we have now, I see no versions of "FFI" for 4.5, only
> > (head), 3.10, and 3.9.  The last two were published by Andreas.
>
> And that contains
>
>      Installer new merge: #ffiTests'
>
> That means this script has been working since 3.9, i.e. for 10 years.

+1

Chris, this is important. We have to have some way to handle the
use case that Hannes is trying to handle here.

As a package maintainer, I do /not/ want to declare a new release
of my package unless unless I have actually released something new
in my package, because that forces me to declare a new release of
my package when no such thing has actually happened.

When someone in the Squeak or Cuis or Pharo community decides to
announce a new release of their image distribution, I /do/ want
to announce my claim that some version of my package works with
that release, because I want to let that community know that my
package still works with their new release.

We need some way to deal with this use case. "Make another bogus
release of your package every time somebody in Sqeak/Cuis/Pharo
decides to announce a new release of their image" is not really
a very good answer. it kind of works but ... yuk.

Dave