[squeak-dev] Squeak and Sound

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Tue Jan 12 19:08:19 UTC 2021

> On 2021-01-12, at 1:42 AM, Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel at pckswarms.ch> wrote:
>
> Ok so I ran this on Linux Mint 20.1, VM source as of 2021/01/09.  Works but little pops.

This - https://mega.nz/file/7dd3BSJI#WC7LG4oi1WUjnZUGvQB1py3kXk8J-OBm9ASXY7iNnkA - is a wav file created by zooming up and down the scratch keyboard morph (which is essentially the same as the vanilla one) and the samples *created by Squeak* saved before being passed to pulse audio.

This one - https://mega.nz/file/LVFxmCAA#Fy8oigSzm3MjJn4BRpxANaSwjid1l757HP7bKSEx7U0 - is the 'same' (but different because I can't replicate the exact same zooming around) from an ALSA setup pi.

Notice how similar they sound; no nasty crackling etc. Yet the actual sound I hear on the pulse-pi when the squeak samples are sent to pulse audio is pretty nasty. Clearly something is wrong; it got a bit less wrong with a recent update to the PI OS pulse libraries but nowhere near perfect.

> I get the same exact sound behavior on my Mac running Catalina, VM from 2020/11/09 that was prebuilt.

On my Mojave OS iMac the sounds are just fine.

> In both cases this image is Squeak 5.3 as shipped.
>
> I'm not a piano player, but, what I vaguly remember as middle C does not seem to be middle C and the lower third of the keyboard seems silent though probably because the frequency is too low.

The claimed middle C is set to 440Hz, which I'm fairly sure is correct. It sound about right to me when played but I am not a musician.

> Starting from the left the third octave C is the first C I can hear.  The D next to it I can hear, the E next I randomly hear or not.  Hitting it quickly gives clicks.  Hitting it and waiting is more sucessful but not 100%.

Seriously weird.

tim
I'm so skeptical that I'm not sure I'm really a skeptic