[squeak-dev] 20X speedup for read file upToEnd

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 22 23:24:08 UTC 2021

Attached is a small change that gives a big performance boost for reading
a file upToEnd. My use case (where I noticed this) is reading an image
file, where the file is opened, the header is read, and the remainder of
the file upToEnd is read in as the object memory:

  fs := FileStream readOnlyFileNamed: Smalltalk imageName. fs binary.
  t := Time millisecondsToRun: [ImageSnapshot fromStream: fs].
  fs close.
  ==> 12428 "original implementation"
  ==> 645 "new version"

Overall speedup is about 20X for MultiByteFileStream and over 100x for
StandardFileStream (difference due to Levente's earlier improvements
in MultiByteFileStream).

This small change touches two packages so I'm posting it as a change set
for comment. I'll put it in trunk if there are no issues.

Dave