[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-eem.1211.mcz

Jakob Reschke forums.jakob at resfarm.de
Mon Jan 25 21:41:24 UTC 2021

Christoph Thiede wrote
> Hm ... would it be presumptuous to say:
>

> 'Copyright © 2010-{1} Squeak Community Contributors.' format: {2021 max:
> Date today year}
>

> ? :-)

For what it is worth, then you could also just drop the numbers altogether.

My vote would be: update the number manually when a release is made. Don't
update it automatically or in the meantime.

Let's pretend (and hope the opposite) that Squeak gets no further
contributions after 70 years from now. Just like, I would assume, nobody is
working on software for 1950's computers any longer. It would be ridiculous
if a Squeak image from 2030 were rediscovered by archeologists (or aliens if
you like) and it would claim a copyright to the year 3157.

Related reading and opinions:
https://www.reddit.com/r/webdev/comments/1p9tao/auto_updating_the_year_on_copyright_notices/
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2390230/do-copyright-dates-need-to-be-updated