[squeak-dev] Transcript error when forceUpdate: false (?)

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Wed Jan 27 22:05:07 UTC 2021

Hi Marcel,

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Hi Jaromir,
> please take a look at Collections-mt.923 (inbox). Maybe those changes would satisfy all your current needs in this regard. :-)
>
> @all: Would Transcript now be thread-safe? Did I miss something?

Not at all. The problem is not #endEntry but all the other
methods writing to the stream e.g.: #nextPutAll:.
The real solution is to replace the stream-like API with one that provides
an easy way to write messages in a thread-safe way. E.g.:

Transcript showStream: [ :stream |
 	stream nextPutAll: 'Hello'; space; nextPutAll: ' World!'; cr ]

Which guarantees that 'Hello World!' appears on the Transcript without
being mixed with other messages.

or

Transcript show: 'Hello {1}!{2}' format: { 'World'. String cr }.

The implementations could be e.g.:

showStream: aBlock

 	| string |
 	string := String streamContents: aBlock.
 	self safelyNextPutAll: string

show: aString format: arguments

 	| string |
 	string := aString format: arguments.
 	self safelyNextPutAll: string

The last challenge is to implement #safelyNextPutAll: which involves
making Transcript not be a TranscriptStream.
Transcript should encapsulate the stream and use a Mutex (not a global one
because its pointless) to provide thread-safety while writing the
characters on it or reading its contents. E.g.:

safelyNextPutAll: aString

 	mutex critical: [
 		stream nextPutAll: aString ]

For backwards compatibility, the stream-API methods must be provided for a
while but those methods should be thread-safe on their own. E.g.:

nextPutAll: aString

 	self safelyNextPutAll: aString

nextPut: aCharacter

 	self safelyNextPutAll: aCharacter asString

Levente