[squeak-dev] Unloading EToys from Squeak Image

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Fri Jan 29 09:24:23 UTC 2021

Hi all!

Note that having the Etoys package as part of Trunk helps us very much to untangle Etoys-specific stuff not labeled "Etoys" at category or class level. In particular, it makes the "senders" and "implementors" tools more useful.

Some examples:

Morph >> #player in "Morphic-Kernel" / "accessing"
BookMorph >> #goto: in "MorphicExtras-Books" / "navigation"
HandMorph >> #pasteMorph in "Morphic-Kernel" / "paste buffer"
Morph >> #isTileMorph in "Morphic-Kernel" / "classification"
HaloMorph >> #addTileHandle: in "Morphic-Widgets" / "handles"

So, it's good that the system keeps running after trying to unload the Etoys package. Let's not do this in Trunk (for now).

:-)

Best,
Marcel

P.S.: Etoys is basically working in Squeak 5.3 and Trunk. Yes, there are many bugs or regressions because only very few people are "using" it these days.
Am 29.01.2021 03:40:05 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 02:17:24PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 2:36 AM H. Hirzel wrote:
> >
> > To all: the necessary fixes are all quite simple. However the steps
> > need to be checked also with the current trunk image. The fixes would
> > also be useful to be added to Squeak 5.3
> >
> Let's do this work. I just moved a couple of copyright methods from EToys
> to System in System-eem.1212. What is preventing people from committing
> changes to get us to the goal of an unloadable EToys?

I followed the instructions at http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2848 and
completed the steps in paragraph 2.1.

Dave