[squeak-dev] Unloading EToys from Squeak Image

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 07:42:27 UTC 2021

On 29/01/21 6:01 pm, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
>  > But that was then and this is now. Instead of shooting for a reloadable
>> Etoys, what if the next Squeak release makes a clean break from Etoys?
>
> That's not what I was going for. Etoys includes hints for userful
> extension points in the base system. Instead of just deleting code, one
> could take a look at it and rewrite it to present a less invasive
> extension. ;-) This takes some effort, of course.

I did mean to delete only Etoys-specific code like player, costumers,
tiles etc. My initial draft included these qualifications but got elided
while editing for brevity.

I am glad you pointed them out. Yes, Morphic extensions and enhancements
introduced by Etoys can be retained in Squeak image.

BTW, I do like Etoys and have helped school teachers and children use
it. It is important for Etoys to retain backward compatibility with all
its projects. I believe it will be better off as a separate loadable
package than organically conjoined to Squeak.

Regards .. Subbu