[squeak-dev] JSON into Trunk? =)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Jul 7 07:08:33 UTC 2021

Hi Dave.

Pardon me for not providing the appropriate argumentation. :-) Yes, we should keep on watching out for image bloat, but not by keeping essential packages/projects out of the trunk. Instead, we should minimize dependencies and make sure that projects can be unloaded on-the-fly if somebody needs to shrink the .image file.

Supporting web requests and their common content/mime types feels like supporting various character encodings when reading a text file. Among the common mime types, there are:

text/plain
text/html
text/csv --- external project, cross-smalltalk compatible
text/xml
application/xml
application/json --- external project, effectively Squeak only?
application/zip
application/gzip
image/gif
image/jpeg
image/png
image/svg+xml --- external project, cross-smalltalk compatible (?)

There is already support for plain text, html, xml, (g)zip, gif, jpeg, png in Trunk. There is also support for json in Trunk because of WebClient/WebUtils.

My impression is that both external JSON implementations are used by Squeak projects only:
(1) http://www.squeaksource.com/JSON
(2) http://squeaksource.com/PostgresV3/JSON-ul.56.mcz

So, it makes sense to unify those. Not having support for JSON in Trunk by default makes no sense considering that we do support XML by default. It would be more consistent to also keep JSON in Trunk. Just make it better.

In case that either (1) oder (2) support also other Smalltalk systems, I would rather not want to migrate those projects into Trunk. Levente? Tony? You might know more about this.

Best,
Marcel