[squeak-dev] [ANN] Squeak Inbox Talk - bringing squeak-dev into your image

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu Jul 15 08:27:01 UTC 2021

Hi,

Sorry, I am not very familiar with this, what I tried first was simply running again:

        Metacello new
                baseline: 'SqueakInboxTalk';
                repository: 'github://hpi-swa-lab/squeak-inbox-talk:main';
                load.

But that did not help.

I opened a Monticello Browser from "Tools" menu,
and I notice there is / was something * System (mt.1239),
when I open http://source.squeak.org/inbox it lists or offers
System-ct.1240.mcz

That sounds promising so I clicked on "Load".

It warned

"You are about to load new versions of the following packages that have unsaved changes"

But I click on "Proceed" in the hope to upgrade System and that seems to work.

Now after this my image shows:

System ct.1240 in the Monticello browser.

Best of all, I am under the impression that I can now reply in InboxTalk.

However it is still not really correct I think.

The Mail Editor 'configuration' is STILL asking for an SMTP user name.

I entered a dummy name (it would not accept empty username)
and empty password (just accept), fortunately it now accepts an empty password.

So it seems something was sent now from within Squeak.

However, I still think that with really simple basic SMTP without auth,
just smtp server name and port should be sufficient,
and it should not ask for user name at all.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc821

I agree that the SMTP protocol is an insane idea (the 1982 definition),
but that is a different discussion ...

Anyway it is great to see that there is a mail editor in Squeak.

I'll continue to send PGP signed messages from outside Squeak nevertheless.

David Stes