[squeak-dev] Documenting the system

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jul 17 16:00:41 UTC 2021

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 10:23:02AM -0400, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
>     Yeah, I thought that too and I'm sure the poll works that way but this
> is not scientific.
>
> Everyone,
>
> I took a look at the help browser and noticed that on the first page there
> is inaccurate information.  Then I tried to search and hit a wide character
> error.  Could have just been our UTF-8 version so I wondered if people are
> using it.  I would like to see some more responses but it seems from the
> https://forms.gle/CsEpHvipoGbeud9k8
>
> Do we have a documentation team?  If so, who is on it?
>
> To make the help browser more visible I think we need to have the ability
> to produce an online version to increase visibility but that seems like a
> doable project.  Create an export, write some CSS, find a place to publish
> it, and we have something that can be found online.  We may still be able
> to combine the help browser and use it as the source for something like
> https://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/ for the online version.
>
> If you have suggestions or ideas about a documentation project please speak
> up.
>
> So far the requirements are:
>
> 1. We need something that is easy enough for people to contribute.
> 2. Something that is easily maintained and modified
> 3. Something that is collaborative
> 4. Something that is easily discoverable
> 5. Something that is not easily ignored
> 6. Something that can be tested!
> 7. Something that can be versioned
>
> Thank you for your help!!

Hi Ron,

How about wiring up HelpBrower to Seaside? To run it, we could pretty
much clone the existing squeaksource.com image and run it on the same
server (which has plenty of capacity). That would be 100% Squeak and
very little effort to maintain.

The image would keep itself updated from the trunk stream, so that
on-line help would always be exactly good or bad as the help in
Squeak trunk itself.

If someone can figure out how to wire up HelpBrowser into Seaside,
I think I could pull together the remaining bits to get it on line.

Dave