[squeak-dev] Trouble running OSProcess on smalltalkCI for Windows/mingw

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jun 28 13:28:13 UTC 2021

Hi all,

while setting up smalltalkCI for a project, I am having troubles getting OSProcess to run on a GitHub Actions runner for Windows.

My test is as simple as:

OSProcess waitForCommand: 'whoami'

Which, normally, should print a small string to stdout and return after no longer than a few decisonds.

However, in my smalltalkCI test for Windows, I just keep getting timeouts, even though the username is output correctly to the CI log.

I am installing OSProcess using:
MCMcmUpdater updateFromRepository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/OSProcess' baseName: MCMcmUpdater defaultBaseName interactive: false.
<http://www.hpi.de/>
I have ensured (via good old Transcript debugging) that the grimReaperProcess is running and not suspended.
Also, there is not any other error message visible in the Transcript.

How could that be? As far as I know, the GitHub runner for Windows uses the git bash (mingw), so Windows executables and APIs are still available, but the shell is a different one.
I could also reproduce the issue when running smalltalkCI from my local git bash (mingw). Interestingly, when using the "--headful" option to inspect the image manually, I can run all tests successfully, but when the tests are run automatically in the squeak::run_tests stage, they fail again.
What is going on here?? At the moment, I feel somehow like at my wit's end ...

Did anyone of you already encountered a similar problem, or do you have any idea how to debug/solve the problem? Thanks in advance! :-)

Best,
Christoph