[squeak-dev] Many questions about sounds :-)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Jun 28 23:48:28 UTC 2021

> On 2021-06-28, at 4:08 PM, Thiede, Christoph <Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim, thanks for the background! So most likely, I will implement some kind of infinite NullSound to work around the issue.

I don't think you should need that; the soundplayer simpy fills the buffer with zeros if it is set to keep playing even when there are no actual sounds. See SoundPlayer class>>#playLoop near the end where you see 'willStop'.

Also I suspect that RestSound is already a silent note. If you see what I mean.

> But then my profiler stack must be wrong? Is this an issue with MessageTally?

Oh my, be careful about opening that can of vermiform creatures.  MessageTally is not very helpful about primitive times. There is/was an improved version somewhere. I'll leave that to someone else to explain.

tim
Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.