[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Collections-ct.950.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Jun 30 14:00:41 UTC 2021

Hi Marcel,

the bug manifests itself in Generator, yes, but for the reasons I tried to explain before, I think that the defect is indeed located in Stream.

> Please double-check what the correct subclass of Stream should be. I think that ReadStream is too specific.

<http://www.hpi.de/>
The problem with PositionableStream is that its implementation of #next: still answers a collection with exactly n elements some of which might be excess values (nil). ReadStream is the first class in the inheritance line in which #next: automatically stops the enumeration at the end of the receiver and thus behaves like #take:. Given a hypothetical alternative subclass of PositionableStream which is neither ReadStream nor WriteStream (i.e., let's imagine a decorator class for another stream), it might be affected by the discrepancy between #next: and take: as well. For this reason, I think we should only apply the optimization of #take: to ReadStream.

What do you think? :-)

Best,
Christoph