[squeak-dev] Simulation guard <primitive: 19> crashes the image

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Mar 4 11:08:04 UTC 2021

Hi Jaromir,

thanks for your report. There are two problems here:

1. The usage of primitive 19 in #newProcess, which I'm glad not to be the only person to find it questionary. I already mentioned this here: http://forum.world.st/Just-another-debugger-bug-primitive-19-td5109411.html IMO the primitive does not make sense in this place, rather we should raise the simulation guard when primitiveSuspend or primitiveResume is invoked via simulation. Still, it is not necessarily a bad thing to let these things happen during simulation - that's why I would prefer to show some confirmation dialog instead of a warning. This is already on my to-do list and a solution for the second aspect should arrive in the Trunk during the next weeks. :-)

2. Debugger chains crashing your image, which has already been discussed in great detail in http://forum.world.st/I-broke-the-debugger-td5110752.html#a5124736. I found the cause of the issue and have provided two possible solutions in this thread. Marcel and I are currently discussing the last details of the patch, but it should be complete soon and will arrive in the Trunk, probably together with the extended simulation guard as noted above!

If you find further interesting bugs, please let us know them all. :D

Best,

Christoph