[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Morphic-ct.1733.mcz

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Tue Mar 9 14:40:16 UTC 2021

Hi Marcel,

most editors support both ways through configuration.

I fear that's stuff for a principal debate, just like "tabs vs spaces" ... So let the games begin! :D

Most methods in Squeak are formatted with empty lines indented just like their surrounding lines, and this also matches my own preference. This has a number of advantages:

1. It's just more consistent that every line that is part of a logic unit (e.g. block, expression, or array) is indented in the same way, without defining any special treatments for empty lines.

2. If you fill an empty line with some statement, the indentation is already there and you do not need to correct (i.e. add) it.

3. If you remove a statement from an empty line, you do not need to "correct" (i.e. remove) the indentation.

4. It's easier to navigate through all lines with the caret because it does not jump back to the unintended beginning of a line.

5. Auto-generation is easier because we don't have an edge case for empty lines.

But I know that the party of the "no-empty-indenters" also has at least one counterargument because they call these indentations trailing whitespace.

> Note that "actually empty" would translate to "single indent/tab" in Squeak because of the way method source code is presented.

And here's where the special treatments (cf. arg 1 above) would begin. If every line in a method (except the signature) has a minimum indentation of one, why should empty lines deserve a negative indentation of 1 compared to the default? If you have a method like this where the default indentation is effectively 2, why should empty lines only be intended with 1 tab?

treat: something
    something ifNotNil: [
        something foo.
        something bar.

        something baz].

For these reasons, I think indenting every line consistently would just be more consistent. :-)

Best,
Christoph