[squeak-dev] Twitter Smalltalk discussion that may interest folk here

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Mar 16 08:45:14 UTC 2021

Hi Liam.

> [...] but a couple of the other points seem quite telling... or do they?

Is this a typical low-effort "You tell me why I should care?"-situation? :-)

Well, if you want to figure out whether your friend is right or wrong, you could try creating a non-trivial thing in Squeak. This involves getting to know the entire system, not just the Smalltalk language and standard library. You would have to figure out how Squeak's tools work and how to shorten the feedback cycle to the level you are most comfortable with. --- After that, you are qualified to ponder about what modern Web browsers (+ DOM/CSS/JavaScript) have achieved yet, and what they still miss. Maybe also include the motivation behind Docker and containerization in general.

Just kidding. :-) Or am I?

Best,
Marcel