[squeak-dev] X Server implementation for Squeak

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:53:35 UTC 2021

On 25/03/21 12:38 am, David T. Lewis wrote:
> However, as a practical matter, this would be a big project. The protocols
> are complex, and modern X11 servers have accumulated a lot of fancy
> features that would be difficult to reproduce from scratch.
>
> Here is another way to look at it: Once apon a time, web browsers were
> simple and we had browser functionality written in Smalltalk, and running
> in the Squeak image. But as time went on, browsers got more complicated,
> and it became infeasible to keep up with the feature creep.
>
> I think you would find a similar situation with X11 servers. In theory
> you can write one, but it would be difficult to implement enough
> functionality to make it seem acceptable to users today.

Well said! Squeak hosts already have X display server software, so there
is no incentive to build one for Squeak. Squeak makes more sense as a
Xclient than an Xserver.

There is an fascinating Squeak package called NetMorph circa 2002.
Morphic objects could move along on a virtual display, like a
multi-monitor video wall, spanning multiple Squeak nodes. It required a
fast network and lots of RAM, so it may be a better fit for today's world.

A NetMorphed Squeak image, running as Xclient on all nodes, can offer a
much richer environment than just a plain display. Imagine live object
migrations and collaborations!

Sorry if this is off-topic.

Regards .. Subbu