[squeak-dev] when safe to set maxExternalSemaphores:? What value?

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Fri May 21 03:46:59 UTC 2021

Hi, the comment in maxExternalSemaphores: says:
_____
"Setting this at any time other than start-up can potentially lose requests.
i.e. during the realloc new storage is allocated,
the old contents are copied and then pointers are switched.
Requests occurring during copying won't be seen if they occur to indices
already copied.
The intended use is to set the table to some adequate maximum at start-up"
_____

I could use some help in translating this to my limited user-level
comprehension.  Does "start-up" here refer to the #startUp: hook?

Could "requests won't be seen" result in an image crash, or simply a few
lost InputEvents?  If a crash is possible, I might be nervous to risk
messing with it at all even in #startUp: in case it happened to be too low
in the list, for example, and my image became unstartable..

Any guidance on what these external semaphores are for (at a high level)
and a good suggested value for a chatty TCP/IP server would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
  Chris