[squeak-dev] laptops, secondary monitors and projects...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 17:55:16 UTC 2021

Hi All,

    I use a lot of projects, and tend to keep one or two images for a long
time.  [tangent: I use two images so I can develop in one, using Vanessa's
superb partial commit feature, load the clean packages in the second image,
and generate VM sources from there. This allows me to have uncommitted
changes in my main work image.]

The only glitch in this perfect world is the tension of moving between my
large secondary monitor, my standard work context, and the laptop screen,
which occurs when I want to work away from home.  The image on the
secondary monitor is set up with windows laid out according to its
dimensions.  When I start the image on the laptop away from the
secondary monitor it of course doesn't fit.

So how about a preference that
- remember's a project's screen extent when it last had a window laid out
in it, or perhaps remembers the minimum rectangle enclosing all the windows
in the project
- on launch (effectively an entry into the current project) and/or entry
into a project, if the screen extent is substantially smaller than the
project's saved screen extent, all windows are scaled by the transformation
from the original to the current size, i.e. they all get smaller and move
towards the origin.

best, Eliot