[squeak-dev] UpdateStreamDownloader class (Re: updating a 5.3 image can be broken by your preferences file)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sat Nov 20 21:39:25 UTC 2021

To follow up my own whining, does anyone know of an actual use of the UpdateStreamDownloader class et al.? The actual update we use is via the completely separate MCMcmUpdater class, or so it appears.

I stumbled across this class when I noticed the preference "Prompt for update server", which certainly looked like it might be useful to have turned on as a check for my earlier issue with the "Update YRL" setting. It doesn't seem to have any connection to the normal update process though. Is it ancient code that has taken to hiding under the  flooring? Is it actually useful?

tim
This is all a lot simpler and a lot more complicated than you could possibly imagine