[squeak-dev] UpdateStreamDownloader class (Re: updating a 5.3 image can be broken by your preferences file)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 21 14:44:56 UTC 2021

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 01:39:25PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> To follow up my own whining, does anyone know of an actual use of the
> UpdateStreamDownloader class et al.? The actual update we use is via
> the completely separate MCMcmUpdater class, or so it appears.

A class comment might help here, but the first commit notice
explains it. I don't think this is currently used, but I could
see possible uses for it in the future.

It is possible to translate our MCM update stream into a change
set update stream, and Andreas has done this in the past. A
change set update stream is much more stable and reproducable (not
to mention faster) than an MCM stream, so there could be value
in this.

(Note to self - I think that Edgar De Cleene provide background
on Andreas' change update stream the last time I asked about it,
I'll have to dig through the email archives to find his notes.).

Here is the commit notice:

  Name: UpdateStream-nice.1