[squeak-dev] updating a 5.2 image breaks because of MCConfiguration>>#log

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Wed Nov 24 08:02:31 UTC 2021

Hi Dave!

> If nobody talks me out of it, I'll make that update soon.

Go for it. :-)

Best,
Marcel
Am 24.11.2021 05:13:55 schrieb David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com>:
On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 10:47:31AM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> For reasons, I just tried updating an old 5.2-18229 image (actually
> I thought it was a 5.3 image, but that's by the by) and it fails
> because MCConfiguration>>#log sends #openIfNone to TranscriptStream.
> Which doesn't understand.
>
> So far as I can see it was a change in MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.161
> that added the newer version MCConfiguration>>#log but unfortunately
> there is nothing that adds the new #openIfNone preceeding that. I
> suppose it's not really worth worrying about much but if it's easily
> fixable it might save some frustration for some unsuspecting user of
> an old system.
>
> tim

For the source.squeak.org/squeak52 update stream that is used for
updating a Squeak 5.2 release image, the problem is caused by me.

I added MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.161 to the repository, which
is the update that provides MCConfigurationExtended to allow editing
MCM configuration maps with comments and version history.

Unfortunately, MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.161 also contains the
update from MonticelloConfigurations-mt.156 that calls the new method
in Tools-mt.888 for opening a Transcript if not already open, and
this leads to the DNU in update processing.

A simple hack-fix would be to re-save MonticelloConfigurations-dtl.161
in the squeak52 repository, but without the change to MCConfiguration>>log
that leads to the problem.

If nobody talks me out of it, I'll make that update soon.

Dave