[squeak-dev] Method timestamps in local time (was: The Trunk: Kernel-eem.1426.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Nov 29 17:03:48 UTC 2021

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 04:33:38PM +0100, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi Christoph --
>
> > shouldn't you have based your version on Kernel-ct.1426 instead?
> Or did I?? upload anything wrong? We now have two "head" versions
> for the Kernel repository:
>
> Looking at the timestamps, you should have based your version on
> Eliot's version. :-D In any case, Nicolas already did a merge commit.
> No worries.

By ancient tradition, method timestamps are recorded in local time.

So Christoph is right technically, Eliot's commit happened after his
commit (see the mail archives to confirm). And Marcel is right that
it doesn't really matter.

It would be nice to at least include the GMT offset in the method
stamps, or even (gasp!) use a proper international format. But if
I recall correctly there are various hidden dependencies on the
format of the method stamps. I think I recall looking at this a
long time ago and concluding that it would be dangerous to change,
but maybe it's worth another look.

Dave