[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-mt.1074.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 19:37:39 UTC 2021

Hi Christoph, Hi Marcel, Hi Ron, Hi All,

On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:38 PM Thiede, Christoph <
Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
>

> > We might want to have this for all kinds of models.
>

> Sorry, but I'm not convinced. :-) The pattern is cool and very flexible,
> but as a downside, boilerplate code increases while readability and code
> exploration become harder - for instance, we do not have the proper tooling
> to find all "assignments" to a property or to enumerate all properties in a
> class. And implementing this tooling does not look straightforward to me
> because programmers could easily use a complex expression (self
> setProperty: self fileDirectorySelector toValue: ...) rather than a literal
> symbol for a property key so that a simple string/AST search would be
> insufficient - the hurdle for programmers is lower in this case than for
> instance variables, where they would be required to explicitly use the
> metaprogramming construct #instVarNamed:. Also, it becomes even harder to
> achieve encapsulation of an object's state.
>

> I very much agree with Kent Beck's arguments about this pattern:
>

> > Warning! This is not a pattern you should use often, if ever. It is
> here because you will see code written with it, and you will have to
> understand what is going on
>

> > The problem with code like this is that you can’t read it and
> understand what is going on. The programming tools don’t support this style
> of programming well. There is no equivalent of “browse instance variable
> references” for code that stores all its state in Dictionaries. It is
> certainly legitimate to build models where state is sometimes present and
> sometimes not, even in instances of the same class. You wouldn’t want to
> declare a hundred variables almost all of which are nil in almost all
> instances, just because a few instances will need them.

Twe thing is, he's only half right.  One *can* have support in the tools.
In fact, in Tweak, part of Andreas Raab's Croquet kernel, CObject and
TObject both define myProperties to hold instance state added in
sumclasses.  Consequently we have added support to the tools for finding
references to state via messages.

Now this raises an interesting point.  Right now there is somewhat of a
confusion between policy and mechanism in the searching the tools do.  If
we resolve this confusion I think we can improve our tools significantly.
Let me give an example.

Right now we search for inst var reads and writes by using wrappers around
CompiledCode's readsField: and writesField: methods respectively.  This is
appropriate where inst vars are implemented as normal Smalltalk nst vars,
but it means that when one searches for inst var references the tools
*don't*
- reveal mentions of a given inst var in a class comment
- reveal mentions of an inst var in class side methods that might
introspect using the inst var name

If SystemNavigation were to separate the mechanism
(CompiledCode>>readsField:/writesField:) from the policy ("show me all
references to this inst var within this class hierarchy; and I don't just
mean references in code, I also mean references in class and method
comments, and anywhere else you can think to look"), then we could do a
better job of helping a programmer find all effective references, while
still preserving the useful concrete semantics of methods such as
readsField: & writesField:, and we could also easily accomodate useful
patterns such as "state in property dictionaries".  Indeed a class could
provide class-sode metadata to inform a tool such as SystemNavigation of
the representational choices it makes, etc.

To allow the tools to display the results of results that intermix
references in code with references in text we need meta handle objects that
allow MethodReference (the standard meta handle object for a method) to
live alongside, say, ClassCommentReference, and SharedPoolReference, etc.

Is this compelling or not?

--
best, Eliot