[squeak-dev] reason why HelpBrowser does not respect page order on display? Fix? Bug? or Feature?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Sun Oct 10 09:20:11 UTC 2021

Ok, I found the why on the top bar->SqueakHelp  sorts the help topics.

It is:   HelpTopicListItemWraper >> contents

Remove that sordid "sorted" and I get expected behavior.

Here is my rationale for this.  If I am writing documentation, It is reasonable to expect that the publisher respect the page ordering of the book. If not, we get confusion.

Say I write chapters "one" "two" "three" in that order. I expect to see them in that order when published.

Now, do a Print-It on these two:

OrderedCollection  with:'one' with:'two' with:'three'. --> an OrderedCollection('one' 'two' 'three')

(OrderedCollection  with:'one' with:'two' with:'three') sorted. ---> an OrderedCollection('one' 'three' 'two')

cordially...

---- On Sun, 10 Oct 2021 05:02:19 -0400 gettimothy <mailto:gettimothy at zoho.com> wrote ----

I found the culprit.

HelpBrowser openOn: FooHelp.   ends up about three sends later in

HelpBrowser >> rootTopic: aHelpTopic

rootTopic: aHelpTopic

"set the root topic and work out the top level sub-topics that it implies. Add the search topic at the end of the list"

rootTopic := aHelpTopic asHelpTopic.

self toplevelTopics: ((rootTopic ifNil: [#()] ifNotNil: [rootTopic subtopics]) sorted, {self searchTopic}).

self toplevelTopics: ((rootTopic ifNil: [#()] ifNotNil: [rootTopic subtopics ifEmpty: [{rootTopic}]]) sorted, {self searchTopic}).

self changed: #windowTitle.

When I remove that "sorted" I get the results I expect.

However....when I go to the top bar Help->SqueakHelp   it reverts back to the "incorrect" behavior.

gonna hunt that down next.