[squeak-dev] Can I post Objects to Tony Garnock-Jones AMQP?

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com
Thu Oct 21 19:59:01 UTC 2021

On 10/21/21 20:52, gettimothy wrote:
> If http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/> AMQP can handle "objects" then I can
> use STOMP (which I used before, about 10 years ago for a commercial app
> involving squeak)

AMQP/STOMP just transport sacks of bytes around. They care little about
the internal structure of those byte sequences. They make you expose
enough structure to do routing, and that's it. Usually routing is done
on a single string attached as metadata to the binary blob du jour.

So you will need to pick a serialization/pickling/marshalling framework
to use to turn portions of your Smalltalk object graph (or, if you're
lucky, tree) into a byte string - then route that via
AMQP/STOMP/MQTT/whatever - then deserialize again at the other end.

I'm out of date wrt nice ways to serialize Smalltalk objects! What do
people recommend these days?

Tony