[squeak-dev] Can I post Objects to Tony Garnock-Jones AMQP?

gettimothy gettimothy at zoho.com
Thu Oct 21 20:22:00 UTC 2021

Thanks Tony,

It looks like JSON is the flavor-of-the-moment as far a serialization.

I have never done it, but it is useful in Seaside (from what I have read) and so worth learning.

I am looking forward to getting the RabbitMQ working too.

Next steps on the SAX stuff is to divide into "pages" and wrap with an object containing meta-data.

The wrapper will contain an XMLDocument containing the "section" of the large dump.

I can then use XPath on that mini-XMLDocument to get the wiki markup to parse after I transport it via RabbitMQ json etc.

But before that, just get some statistics on meta-data and another speed test.

Then use that meta-data to inform the next parts of the architecture.

Then do that "wrapper" stuff I described above.

My first task may be to document this stuff using i different dataset of NOAA weather stations:

[(DocDemoSaxHandler parseURL: 'https://w1.weather.gov/xml/current_obs/index.xml' upToLimit:nil)

Maybe spin up a Seaside app with Zurb framework to display it on demand.

Be a neat mini-example app with multiple systems.

Anyhoo...thanks for the info on the MQ.

cordially,

.

---- On Thu, 21 Oct 2021 15:59:01 -0400 Tony Garnock-Jones <tonyg at leastfixedpoint.com> wrote ----

On 10/21/21 20:52, gettimothy wrote:
> If http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/
> <http://www.squeaksource.com/AMQP/> AMQP can handle "objects" then I can
> use STOMP (which I used before, about 10 years ago for a commercial app
> involving squeak)

AMQP/STOMP just transport sacks of bytes around. They care little about
the internal structure of those byte sequences. They make you expose
enough structure to do routing, and that's it. Usually routing is done
on a single string attached as metadata to the binary blob du jour.

So you will need to pick a serialization/pickling/marshalling framework
to use to turn portions of your Smalltalk object graph (or, if you're
lucky, tree) into a byte string - then route that via
AMQP/STOMP/MQTT/whatever - then deserialize again at the other end.

I'm out of date wrt nice ways to serialize Smalltalk objects! What do
people recommend these days?

Tony